Monday, April 7, 2008

Sweet potato crusted flounder

I always say all my memories are about food. If I was eating when any event happened, it's usually the food I remember first. Sad but true. I was sitting around the other day thinking about all the places we've been (and of course the food we ate!). We started talking about one of our favorite place to go when we lived in New Jersey. Mastori's diner, where you could sit at the bar or a booth and get diner food or you could sit in the restaurant area listening to the piano man while having a fine dinner.

On one of our visits there, I had a delicious sweet potato crusted fish. After thinking about it more, I decided it was something I wanted to try at home. I was unsure how to go about it, but I was going to give it a try.

I think it turned out pretty good.


I had some flounder filets in the freezer and some sweet potatoes, so it seemed like a good time to try my hand at making this meal.

There is no real recipe. I just put together what I thought would be tasty. Here's a basic idea of what I did.

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated in the food processor
5 flounder filets
cajun seasoning

I put the grated sweet potatoes in the microwave for a couple of minutes. This made them hold together better as a crust on the fish. Plus since the flounder I was using was a little on the thin side, I didn't want the fish to be over done before the sweet potatoes were done.

I dipped the fish in an egg wash and seasoned it with cajun seasoning. As a tablespoon or so of oil heated in a pan, I pressed the sweet potato into the fish. I started sweet potato side down in the pan. After a few minutes, turned it so the fish could finish up.

It was served up hot with garlic green beans and a slice of home made bread.

No comments: