Thursday, April 17, 2008

Greek is the word!

Delectable is also the word which can be used to describe our dinner. Greek salad, souvlaki, potatoes roasted with garlic and feta, and pitas made up our Greek feast. It sounds so fancy but it's so simple. I decided it would be a good meal for dinner with family over. I think I may have dinner guests again if the empty plates at the end of the meal were any indication of how they enjoyed their food.

First up: Greek Salad

Romaine, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, kalamata olives, banana peppers, and lots of feta make up the salad itself.

The dressing is easy to make in your food processor. Everything comes together quickly.

3/4 cup olive oil (you may reduce the oil slightly if desired)
1-2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried basil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1-2 teaspoon sugar

I put it all in the small bowl of my food processor and whirl until it becomes almost creamy


Souvlaki:

Chicken breasts in a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil, oregano and garlic. Before I do my grocery shopping, I usually make up a batch or two of the marinade. I'll take a pack of chicken, put it in a freezer bag, pour in the marinade and freeze. When I'm ready to make this for dinner, the chicken will then marinate as it thaws. Depending on how much time I have (and if I'm trying to impress) I'll put the chicken on skewers. If I do not have a lot of time, I'll just throw the breasts on the grill. Either way, it's wonderful. Any left over chicken makes a great topping for a salad.

I also butter or brush olive oil on the pita and throw it on the grill at the end of the cooking time for the chicken.

Don't forget the Tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice).

OPA!!

1 comment:

Elle said...

I want that dinner! Sounds delicious!

I tagged you for a Six Word Memoir! If you want to play, you can find the post on my blog.

Cheers!