Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Move over Little Debbie: Oatmeal Creme Pies

Everyone grew up with Little Debbie products in their homes. We did, from swiss cake rolls to raisin creme pies (or flycakes as my dad calls them) to oatmeal cream pies. Even as an adult, I still love them all. It's a taste of childhood. Like everyone else, we're trying to watch transfats and foods full of words we can not pronounce. It put me on a search for recipes I could make at home with whole food ingredients (even if they are not the most wholesome ingredients; but who doesn't love butter and sugar!). I found this one for oatmeal creme pies which is one of my husband's favorites. These will make great lunch box snacks.



Ingredients

1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375°.

2. Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beating well.

3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Add oats; stir well. Add to butter mixture; stir until well blended. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool on pan 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pan; cool on wire racks.

4. Spread 1 tablespoon Cream Filling over each bottom side of half of cookies; top with remaining cookies, right side up.
Yield

Makes 3 dozen oatmeal cookies or 18 cream pies

Creme Filling

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, scraping bowl. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
Yield

Makes 1 1/2 cups

8 comments:

Deborah said...

I love everything Little Debbie. But then again, I was called "Little Debbie" more than once through my childhood, so maybe that's where I got my love of sweets. These sound fantastic!

Thistlemoon said...

I love that you made a natural version of this, so you can still enjoy them, sans all the chemicals! Very cool idea!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Hello there, fellow Tarheel! I like your recipe. I hope to come visit your blog again soon!

Unknown said...

The Yankee husband just proclaimed that I must make these since Little Debbie has replaced Tastykakes in his life now. I will have to try these soon!

Ginny said...

I love these! Great idea! I also love that I found a fellow Tarheel! :)

Stephanie said...

These look fantastic! I'll have to try them out. Your blog was listed on the Foodie Blogroll, and I had to check it out. I think your taste in food is similar to mine, from the looks of it! Oatmeal cookies, sweet potatoes, taco cornbread - it all sounds delicious! Hope you don't mind if I visit your blog often!

Stephanie
Fun Foods
www.baskersfunfoods.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

I made these this week and boy are they delicious! So sweet, though, and I can't eat them like I used to. :( Pictures at Flickr.

Thanks for the great recipe!

megan said...

I made similar cookies with the exact same filling! so good :) and now i use that "icing" on anything I can...it's addicting!!