Friday, July 24, 2009

Sweet potatoes: crash hot style!

We love The Pioneer Woman's Crash hot potatoes. I've even blogged about them here. They are delicious and a favorite around here.

One day I checked my menu and saw I had crash hot potatoes on the list but I was out of white potatoes. Sweet potatoes were on sale so I thought why not? We love sweet potatoes with brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. What if the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter are melted into the potatoes?

The night we had these we were having barbecued chicken so I added a little of the seasoning to the potatoes. A little cumin and chipotle chili powder were added to the cinnamon and brown sugar. Sweet, spicy and delicious.

I followed the steps for the regular crash hot potatoes: peeling, slicing, and boiling until slightly tender. Mash the potatoes down and sprinkle with the sugar and spice mixture. I poured melted butter over the top of the potatoes. (Make sure to use the nonstick foil or parchment paper or you will be blasting the pan.) Bake until the potatoes get crispy on the edges and the sugar and spice mixture caramelize. YUM!

No comments: