Friday, January 29, 2010

Shrimp and Grit Cakes



Almost of all my memories revolve around food. Sometimes I think it's sad but then most of the memories are good ones, so why worry that there is food involved. Making this shrimp recipe reminded me of a great memory.

I made these shrimp using a recipe from the Frugal Gourmet. I was looking through old cookbooks and found a card marking the recipe for New Orleans Barbecued Shrimp. I started thinking about when I'd made the dish. It was the first thing I ever cooked for my then boyfriend, now husband. We hadn't be dating too long and I was looking to impress him. It must have worked because it was nineteen years ago and I've been cooking for him ever since.

I decided we would have this with grits to make the most of the sauce made with the shrimp. I wanted something a little different than regular grits so I decided to make grit cakes. I let the grits set up, sliced it into squares and pan fried it in a little butter so the sides would be crispy. The crispy outside and the creamy middle was great for soaking up the sauce. It was great with the shrimp and sauce.

New Orleans Barbequed Shrimp

3 slices bacon, cubed, fried until clear.
2 cubes margarine
2 tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
1 2 tsp. chili powder
3 tsp. basil
3 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. course black pepper
2 tsp. oregano
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 heaping tbsp. shrimp and crab boil ( available in most supermarkets and any fish market)
Tabasco sauce to taste
2 lbs. large shrimp, with shells

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fry bacon until clear, add margarine and melt with bacon, grease and all. (Can't you just feel those heart valves clogging up already?) Add all the spices. Pour this mixture over the shrimp and place in oven for about 5 minutes. This is excellent served with warm French bread and white wine. Be sure to have plenty of napkins available. Shelling the shrimp is messy but part of the fun.

No comments: